CD Launch from Web Browser

John Hambleton, Academic Information Services Jhamblet at nmu.edu
Thu May 27 08:35:00 EDT 1999

>Netscape 4.x and IE 4.x
>will launch batch files (*.bat) found in a URL.
>I like IE's security controls best--you can easily turn off the
>dialog upon launch of a batch file that asks "Do you want to
>save this file or run it?". In your batch files of course would be
>drive mappings to your CD applications that you may have on a Netware
>server, plus the reference to the application file itself that you
>want to launch. It's that easy.
>I'm actually using this approach myself, but launching the batch files
>with the shareware W3Launch (just search the Web to find it). And to
>stay legal, I'm using Elron's Softrack metering software on my Netware
>server to be sure that we don't exceed the number of licenses for our
>CD apps.
>Mr. H
>

>At 10:05 AM 5/26/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>>I'm new to this list and I would like some help with a launching CD's from
>>a web browser (we're using Netscape 4.05). We are currently using Carl
>>Everybody's Menu to provide integrated access to our telnet catalog,
>>CD-ROMs and web resources. We're moving to a web catalog next December,
>>and are thinking about getting rid of Carl for a variety of reasons. Most
>>of our CD's are launched right now through Carl using a UNC address for
>>each CD that looks something like this:
>>\\polk1\software\spirs\winspirs.exe i: Each CD is mapped to a different
>>drive letter. They are not standard paths, e.g.
>>c:\progra~1\newsba~2\newsbank.exe We are in a Windows 95/Novell Netware
>>environment. Any pearls of wisdom about the latest and greatest ways to
>>launch CD's from a browser? I'd even be curious about ways to launch CD's
>>with "normal" paths. Searched through the archives, but couldn't find what
>>I was looking for, or maybe I missed it. TIA- Sarah
>>
>>Sarah Neises
>>Polk Library
>>University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
>>neises at uwosh.edu
>>http://www.uwosh.edu/library/

* John S. Hambleton                LMS      6.4.0 *
* Olson Library                    GTO      6.4.0 *
* Northern Michigan University     CICS     2.x   *
* Marquette, Michigan 49855        MVS/ESA  4.x   *
* Phone:  906-227-2741                            *
* E-mail: jhamblet at nmu.edu                        *