[WEB4LIB] Fw: Virus - 26th

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Tue May 25 09:40:23 EDT 1999

>> It will also attempts to overwrite the system BIOS. Some machines may
>>require a new BIOS chip to recover if overwritten by the CIH virus.

?  BIOS is normally "firmware": the software is permanently embedded in the
chip and thus can't be re-written, unless it is FLASH BIOS, then it can be
re-programmed, but why would you need a new chip even then, just re-program
it back.  Unless I'm missing something in my understanding of FLASH BIOS
(and only newer computers _may_ have FLASH BIOS, most of our computers
don't have it.)

TTFN,
David Merchant
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University  <www.latech.edu/tech/library/>