[WEB4LIB] Re: Library home pages

David Atkins atkins at aztec.lib.utk.edu
Wed May 12 15:43:46 EDT 1999

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Jacqueline Lesch wrote:

> Shane Nackerud wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone--
> >
> >         The University of Minnesota Libraries are in the middle of a total web
> > site redesign.  One question we have been grappling with is what links
> > should be on the home page?  What services and research tools should
> > receive the highest priority?  The catalog and indexes/databases are
> > obvious choices, but what else?
>
> While normally a WEB4LIB lurker, I thought I would voice an opinion
> here.
> Yes, the catlog and indexes/databases are obvious choices, however, what
> do these terms really mean to our library patrons and website users?
> Library jargon can be very frustrating to non-librarians, especially on
> a website where you cannot walk up to a librarian and ask for
> assistance. Terms like: OPAC, Catalog, Databases, & Electronic Indexes
> are best reserved staff meetings and should be replaced on websites more
> desciptive titles or phrases.

There's a flip side to this point.  We are correct to assume if a a person
is using the library web page, that person is a library user and that
person can learn to use the site.  Also, we have both novice and
experienced persons accessing our sites.  Given these points what do we
teach?

While I do use terms that could be considered jargon, I realize that
using partially intuitive language is one valid and realistic strategy.

A web site is a learning environment.  If a user doesn't know exactly what
a "periodical database" or "catalog" is, the simple & active task of
clicking on the link will answer a lot of questions more effectively than
using more text & jargon to explain what something is or means.  Don't
know what is it?  Click on it & find out.

Once a person knows what the catalog is, they no longer need the
jargon-free labels.  They need the quickest & easiest link to the catalog
they can find.   "No clutter, please.  I just want your catalog."

We're also revamping our web site and I hope we can create an environment
that is both friendly to the first-time users and also "gets out of the
way" of the savvy users who no longer bemoan jargon and ever-so briefly
use the home page as a starting place to get to the good stuff they've
learned lurks inside...A solid reason not to take changing or renaming
link & service names lightly.

The jargon ('Catalog') and the warm'n'fuzzy ('How Do I Find a Book or
Magazine?') can cohabit a page.  It's not just that these are not mutually
exclusive strategies but they are mutually beneficent strategies.  Doing
all jargon or all non-jargon would be a disservice to one group or
another.

DA

David P. Atkins
Electronic Resources Librarian
John C. Hodges Library                            datkins at utk.edu
The University of Tennessee                    me  (423) 974-0014
Knoxville, Tennessee  37996                    fax (423) 974-9242