[WEB4LIB] Library home pages

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed May 12 12:01:39 EDT 1999

Shane,

I know this gets kicked around a lot in library land but I think the first
question you need to answer is "What is the primary purpose [or mission] of your
library home page?"

Is it serving as an information gateway [or portal] to library resources?

Is it intended to serve as a directory to information about the library?

Is it intended to establish a "presence" for the library on the WWW?

Will it try to do all 3 and more??

I think once you establish what the primary mission of the page is, the links will
become more evident.  You may discover, like a number of libraries have, that
you'll need to develop multiple "home pages" depending on which audience is
visiting.

For example, at terminals within the library, you may find that users are
primarily looking for Internet resources and you might develop a page that is more
along the lines of the web portal sites like Yahoo and Netscape Netcenter.  In
contrast, users accessing remotely might be looking primarily for access to
library resources online, like the catalog and remote databases online, and
they'll need a separate page that focuses on those resources.  Finally, you
probably find that visitors coming from the WWW or from the main University home
page are most interested in library information like hours, location, services,
etc. and a directory of information best meets their needs.  Also, this page might
be more "artsy" to make a good presentation to the university community and casual
visitors.

Most importantly, realize that you probably couldn't (and shouldn't, even if you
can) do all of these on the same page.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library