AltaVista bafflement

Danny Sullivan danny at calafia.com
Tue May 11 21:01:01 EDT 1999

I haven't looked into any specifics of what people have raised re:
AltaVista, but I will do so. In the meantime, everyone should be aware
that when you do a simple search, AltaVista kicks in with automatic
phrase detection. This can do weird, strange and unexpected things to
your query. See this article for more on how to know exactly what is
going on:

http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/sereport/9902-avphrase.html

Also be aware that AltaVista seems to be in the midst of either rolling
out a larger index or making other changes for a relaunch expected this
summer. This is something I'll be covering more in a future newsletter.
In the meantime, this is part of the reason why you may see screwy
things. Just in part, of course -- AltaVista has a well known history
now of failing to give accurate hit counts due to caching issues,
failure to search deeply during busy times and just overall bugginess.

cheers,
danny