[WEB4LIB] Includes and speech synthesizers

sean dreilinger sean at savvysearch.com
Tue May 11 11:50:20 EDT 1999

Mark Gooch wrote:

> I'm working on a text-oriented version of our new web site in order to
> make it more accessible to disabled users.  I plan on having a standard
> menu of links at the bottom of each page.  I'm wondering if I can do
> this as a server side  include and whether this will be a problem for
> speech synthesizers.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

server-side anything (php, mod_perl, ssi) is helpful because it handles
all the variable stuff on the server and sends out just the final HTML
to the client - the browser/speaker/etc. sees clean HTML and requires
fewer whiz-bang features turned on to receive and grok content.

CSS has some neat options for media type, and CSS2 has full support for
aural style sheets: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/aural.html
(so now all we need is a browser with full CSS2 support :-)

--sean

--
mailto:sean at savvysearch.com                sean dreilinger, mlis
 http://www.savvysearch.com                http://durak.org/sean