Biased Censorship Continues at Publib

David Burt dburt at afo.net
Fri May 7 17:59:22 EDT 1999

In the latest example of the biased censorship being practiced by Publib's moderators, Karen Schneider and Sara Weissman, the "Dr. Laura" thread was killed, but anti-Dr. Laura posts are still being posted, while pro-Dr. Laura posts are not:

On Wed, 5 May 1999 06:43:55, Karen Schneider announced she was closing the thread:
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/PubLib/archive/9905/0063.html

After that, several Dr. Laura-related posts of mine were turned back (Including the one earlier sent to this list). Yet this post mocking Dr. Laura was allowed:
Wed, 5 May 1999 20:53:40
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/PubLib/archive/9905/0079.html

This follows Sara Weissman's censoring of part of my post that quoted from the "Go Ask Alice" Site.  I asked Sara about this in this message:

To Sara Weissman, PUBLIB moderator:

Why did you censor part of my post?
I find it ironic in the extreme that when the topic is whether certain ALA approved content is appropriate for 12-year-olds, you don't find it appropriate for grown-up librarians.  Doesn't that say something?

If you don't think:

"Sex doggie-style = pain"
"What's rimming?"
"Girlfriend gags during oral sex"
"Anal sex - Sloppy bottom?"
"Anal sex and waste products"
"What's fisting?"
"Foot fetish?"
"More on sex with animals: Bestiality and STDs?"
"Husband crossdresses"
"Cleaning cat 'o nine tails'"
"S/M roleplaying"

is inappropriate for librarians, how can you defend it for 12-year-olds?

Sara replied by suggesting I must have some sort of prurient interest: