Values, not filters

Robert J. Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Fri May 7 15:59:03 EDT 1999

Filtering, in libraries or anywhere, is no longer, merely
a matter of "free speech" or "intellectual freedom" for me.
Although these are valid and critical points with regards
to universal and sacred civil liberties, filters only help
to mask a far deeper problem:  the global moral crisis.

Filters block content.  Filters do nothing more than block
content.  Filters are not parental substitutes, nor do they
address the larger problem of decadent content generation
or the desire to access detrimental content online or via
any other media.  They do nothing to improve users or to
raise the quality of data.  They can only hope to place
more impediments between a user an information, impediments
that are not even dependable.  It's time the real problems
of values and morals not be masked any longer.  It's time
to look well beyond filters for an answer to the Internet
content problem, back to the morals that will sustain a
person for a lifetime wherever they are, online or elsewhere.

Morality or parental love and guidance cannot be automated.
If a parent has time to purchase and install a filter, that
parent has time to talk to their children about not only
the Internet but life before and beyond cyberspace.  What's
needed here is something far beyond any technological device
can provide, and it's time the pro-filterists get this into
their heads.  The very software you promote does nothing to
promote and nurture a person's morals but instead allows
content and curiosity for that content to proliferate.  You
must understand your cause to be wholly lost the moment you
honestly believe technology can ever hope to replace sound
moral instruction and parental guidance.  Filters can imply
this, whether that is the intent or not.

I recently wrote to Vice President Gore on this matter, a
message inspired by his recent comments regarding a new
initiative to help parents moderate their children's access.
I believe this is approaching the Internet content problem
from the wrong end.  Rather than parents relying on
technology to block users, young or mature, from going in
x many directions, promote the *right* directions in which
to go, be pro-information, pro-access, pro-responsibility,
pro-parental accountability, pro-common sense, pro-values
with as little technology or third-party intervention
involved as possible.  Teach everyone of all ages to know
better, do better, think better, communicate and coexist
with each other.  Teach them now.

This was never merely about censorship, although many
pro-filterists always cling to that argument because it is
all too easy to use "free speech" as a means for many (but
not all) of them to advance ulterior flawed agendas to
stifle human rights and attempt to diminish public
institutions like libraries.  No, this is a human dilemma
that goes far beyond the Internet, beyond information
access.  And this problem requires immediate and careful
human intervention, not some artifically intelligent proxy
value system.  Only values, morals, common sense, can help
a person on or off the Internet.  No software can filter
real life.  The solutions are age-old and as "platform
independent" as they come:  develop good, strong values
and morals and impart those to others.  Love and help and
sustain one another, and understand this was, is, and will
be the only way toward global betterment.

Below is my message to the Vice President.

Respectfully submitted,

Robert J. Tiess
rjtiess at warwick.net
http://members.tripod.com/~rtiess