[WEB4LIB] "systems librarians"

Brian Williams brianw at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Wed May 5 19:06:02 EDT 1999

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Alice McNeil wrote:

> > > I would like to learn more about that myterious role of the
> > > "systems librarian"  because it will benefit me tremendously here to take on
> > > a little bit of that role.  Where do I start?  I was thinking
> > > - a computer science class of an "introduction to computer systems."  ???
>
> > The book, The Systems Librarian by Thomas Wilson, pub by ALA last year is
> > not a bad place to start for general descriptions.
>
> I recently read Wilson's book, including the relevant chapter entitled
> "The Education of a Systems Librarian".  I was still left in the dark as
> to how one becomes a "systems librarian."  Wilson emphasizes hands on
> experience as a significant source of "systems" knowledge, but doesn't
> go into any detail as far as educational requirements.
>
> What kind (if any) formal education is recommended to qualify for these
> positions:  a B.A. in computer science?  A minor in computer science?
> Microsoft certification in Novell and NT?  Is there a mentoring
> arrangement where one systems person learns from another more
> experienced technician?

My guess is that most position announcements do not specify that the
applicant has to have the BS in computer Science or whatever. That may be
changing as libraries find that they canot find people who have both an
MLS and computer experience and choose to hire someone with the technical
background. The BS or work toward that is very helpful, in my opinion. But
if you "evolve" into the position, as many of us have, then you may not
have had that. Industry training is also pretty valuable. Like NT server
and workstation workshops, router training, unix system admin training.
These are sometimes give by local 2 year colleges. And this is usually
available from a host of training vendors.

> I'd also be curious to know how many women work as systems librarians.
> "Systems", appears to be a male dominated area of librarianship.

Lots of women in the field.

Brian Williams			brianw at multnomah.lib.or.us
Automation Manager	  	5032044627 at mobile.att.net (pager)
Multnomah County Library	 (503) 248-5227 (v)
801 SW 10th  Portland, OR 97205  (503) 248-5226 (f)