"systems librarians"

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Wed May 5 12:14:14 EDT 1999

Wilson emphasizes hands on
>> . . .educational requirements.
>>
>> What kind (if any) formal education is recommended to qualify for these.
. .

Of course the KEY word here is LIBRARIAN
Speaking as one approaching this from the other direction -
My 'official' title is Learning Resources Manager.

I have almost 10 years of 'hands-on experience' providing computer
support/mamagement/maintenance/training IN an academic library environment.
 I began by managing a computer lab (hence my title) and teaching
non-credit classes.

Since then my experience has also included designing and installing a
NetWare LAN  - including CD-Rom towers; installing and managing and an
Internet host (webserver, mail server, ftp sesrver) -- from scratch;
actually building or rebuilding much of the hardware; migrating that LAN
from DOS to Windows and now to NT, developing dateabases and other support
tools, providing training and support for staff  etc. etc.

BUT -- because neither of my graduate degress are MLS/MIS I find it
impossible to move on in the academic environment.

No matter what the title or job description (even if it does NOT include
the word librarian and makes no reference to desk duty) the first line
always reads -
'MLS/MIS required'.

At 46 I'm not sure how cost-effective it would be to pursue this degree.
But -- if any 'youngsters' are reading this
-- learn from my mistake --
-- GET THAT ALA APPROVED PAPER FIRST --
As discussed - there are plenty of ways to gain the computer skills you
need on the side -

Paul H. Gray
Learning Resources Manager
TCC Northeast Campus Library