[WEB4LIB] Re: IE 5 Security Bug ....

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed May 5 09:45:30 EDT 1999

Another product is Window Washer but I think it too requires that you
close the browser to delete what ever you tell it to delete.  Or, you
can also set it to do its deletions periodically but you run the risk of
deleting the cache while someone is in the middle of checking out search
results.  This means if they choose a link on that page they might have
to do a reload when they go back to the results page which doesn't
always reload the data you had.

Thomas

David Atkins wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999 morganj at iupui.edu wrote:
>
> > I don't think Dan's comments cover all situations.  My web password
> > protected sites include the University's e-mail server, definitely a
> > work-related site.  The e-mail site has a warning on it to exit your
> > browser after you logout; per the messages on the ZD site you have to not
> > only exit the browser, but also clear its cache.
> >
> > Jim Morgan
> > morganj at iupui.edu
> >

> A host of software developers offer cache managers & file utilities offer
> freeware & shareware products which can mitigate any problems.
>
> CacheKiller (which I can't get to work) or TempClean (which I can get to
> work) could help.  Search for these utilities at www.zdnet.com.  In Win95,
> there's always the option to set your autoexec.bat to del *.* the
> browser's cache directory w/ each boot-up.
>
> DA
> David P. Atkins
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> John C. Hodges Library                            datkins at utk.edu
> The University of Tennessee                    me  (423) 974-0014
> Knoxville, Tennessee  37996                    fax (423) 974-9242

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine