A rose by any other name...

Gary E. Masters GMASTERS at TAMIU.EDU
Wed May 5 08:58:33 EDT 1999

I like the thought that goes into defining what people do.  When I studied
the matter, I learned that salary and rank depends on the job description
and a simple error can cost a lot.  (You tell more about planning, thinking
and directing than doing.)  In my job I plan the system, select the
hardware and software, get the orders ready, install it, make it work, tell
people how to use it and plan the next iteration.  But that is only part.
I help and learn from our Computer center.  I advise on scanning and
document storage projects in the University and for local groups.  (Had a
project for multimedia medical records with DoD a while back that added to
my skills.)  I also am liaison with the Science and Technology (including
nursing) College and do collection development.  I set up our video
surveilance system.  I am on the University promotion and Tenure committee.
 I direct a student assistant who is learning computer support.  Well, you
get the idea.

But I really like to say that I am a librarian.  they say "You mean a
librarian does all this?"  I just smile and say that librarians have been
doing information management for a long time and do it very well, thank you.

Gary E. Masters
Automated Services Librarian
Texas A&M International University
(956) 326-2137 (voice)