[WEB4LIB] Re: Personalized Library Pages

Marc Davis davis at revelation.unomaha.edu
Mon May 31 19:26:21 EDT 1999

I'd also be interested.  We're being asked to do this, but I've been
unable to find any good usability research or design comment on the
value/pitfalls of customization.

Thanks.
Marc

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Thomas Dowling wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone developing a My Library page could comment on the
> decision to require users to log in to see their customized settings.  My
> gut instinct tells me that has just enough nuisance value that people may
> create a profile out of curiosity, but not actually log into it very
> often.  It seems like judicious use of persistent cookies could make user
> customizations appear automatically, and I've been working on a prototype
> that does that for the OhioLINK home page.
>

> Thomas Dowling
> OhioLINK - Ohio Library and Information Network
> tdowling at ohiolink.edu

Marc Davis         University Library        UNOmaha
     6001 Dodge Street     Omaha, NE, 68182-0237
  	(402) 554-4949  |  Fax (402) 554-3215
	     davis at revelation.unomaha.edu