[WEB4LIB] Re: Cd Launch from Web Browser

Marc Davis davis at revelation.unomaha.edu
Mon May 31 19:20:44 EDT 1999

We're also shifting to the web-base SP products.  We've reduced the number
of CD-Roms -- although we load them all on a Linux server and provide
access via an ActiveX control -- in favor of web based solutions wherever
possible.  In addition to ease of access, an immense amount of technical
staff time is saved.

Marc

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Dan Lester wrote:

> At 11:02 AM 5/26/99 -0700, Gary E. Masters wrote:
> >I am very interested in how you work out a solution to this problem.  We
> >had a CD tower that crashed a lot, so I got a really big Dell NetWare
> >server (nearly 100 gb of hard disk space) and now put the Cd's in volumes
> >in Netware.  However, we run out of drive letters.
>
> Although I'm sure you'll hear other solutions, I'd heartily recommend you
> get SP to give you a test of the same databases on the web.  The prices are
> identical for almost all products for the same number of simultaneous
> users.  You'll get campus wide access and you'll find it easy to
> authenticate off campus users if you care to.  Your patrons will LOVE the
> improved access and the access from home.
>
> We used to have 84 CDROM drives networked.  We're now down under sixty, and
> expect to be under 40 by fall, perhaps even under 28.   Everybody will be
> MUCH happier.
>
> Contact me off list if you want more info.   And, this isn't SP specific,
> as you'll find similar options from many other database providers.
>
> cheers
>
> dan
>

> --
> Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
> Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165
> dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/
> http://library.boisestate.edu/ http://www.lili.org/
> http://www.postcard.org/ http://www.idaho.anglican.org/

Marc Davis         University Library        UNOmaha
     6001 Dodge Street     Omaha, NE, 68182-0237
  	(402) 554-4949  |  Fax (402) 554-3215
	     davis at revelation.unomaha.edu