[WEB4LIB] Digital Metaphors

Nick Arnett listbot at mccmedia.com
Sun May 16 18:22:19 EDT 1999

Gerry,

You might appreciate some of Pam Samuelson's writings on the effect of
digital media on intellectual property.  She is a law professor at Berkeley
and a year or so ago won a MacArthur "genius" grant for her work in this
area.  She uses plasticity as a metaphor to explain some of the challenges
of applying existing IP law to digital media.  Her writings shouldn't be
difficult to find.

Pam and her husband Bob Glushko, who is a hypertext expert, are the people
who clued me into Elizabeth Eisenstein's work on the history of the
printing press, which is what really got me going on the explorations I've
been doing the last six or seven years.

As for fluidity and malleability, I can offer some of my own intuitions,
though I haven't really thought them through yet.  The connectivity that
exists within networked digital media gives rise to patterns of behavior
that science also observes in fluids and malleable solids.  Those kinds of
physical objects don't lend themselves to reductionist explanations because
of their complexity, but they are yielding to pattern-discovery methods
that increasingly rely heavily on digital simulations, thus further
revealing the parallels.

As a concrete example, you might read about "simulated annealing," in which
complex information structures are optimized by a process that resembles a
metallurgical annealing process.  It is described fairly well in Stuart
Kauffman's "At Home in the Universe," a book on complexity and the origins
of life.

I've come to believe that understanding the forces at work in the
generations of patterns in complex, cooperative systems is going to have as
great an impact on the world as our understanding of feedback in complex,
competitive systems has been in the modern world.  It represents an
understanding of systems at a higher level, one in which classical
cause-and-effect logic is impractical, at best, due to the very
characteristics you describe -- plasticity, fluidity and other expressions
of interconnected complexity.

The subject of patterns has become a chapter in my book, but I've hardly
begun to outline the chapter, much less to write it.  Thus, more later.

And out of a feeling of responsibility to connect this back to libraries...
I think that the emergence of digital media forces us to think of an
organizational scheme for information as a pattern, rather than the
classical idea of sets of objects with common properties.  That point of
view will lead to more serendipitous discovery that the classical approach
could.  This is not to throw out the classical idea, but to see it as a
lower-level point of view than the pattern.  Well, I hope that makes
sense.  I realize it is still quite vague.

Nick