Ramifications of Embedded Multimedia in E-Journals

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sat May 15 14:29:36 EDT 1999

                _Ramifications of Embedded Multimedia in E-Journals_

    From a brief literature review and as a result of responses received from
an earlier post, I have concluded that Embedded Multimedia in E-Journals
will become quite common within the next 2-3 years. As more and more
libraries are providing access to E-journals either as alternatives or substitutes
for paper subscriptions and as E-journals embrace embedded multimedia, it
appears that there will be significant ramifications for next generation WebPACs
as well as personal workstations.

   While not all multimedia requires special plug-ins, the range of multi-media
is expanding rapidly and thus one can expect that library workstations will need
to have the full-range of appropriate plug-ins to accommodate such embedded
media.

   I am greatly interested in current efforts by WebPac vendors to provide built-in
default plug-ins for such media as well as information about current library efforts to
anticipate these near term developments.

BTW: I will be preparing a contribution for a professional newsletter next month
and will attempt to provide a sketch of some noteworthy developments relating to
Embedded Multimedia in E-Journals. Among the key sites and cites  I will be
incorporating are:

Institute of Physics (IOP)

>Here at Institute of Physics Publishing we positively encourage >authors to submit multimedia material with a view to enhancing >the readers' understanding of a paper (see our 'Notes for Authors' >at www.iop.org/Journals/nfa/node22.html)

>Submissions of this kind are increasing steadily - good examples can be found in >the following titles (demonstrations are available at the URLs given).

>Nanotechnology http://www.iop.org/Journals/na

>Combustion Theory and Modelling http://www.iop.org/Journals/ct

>New Journal of Physics http://njp.org

                           ******************************

Terry A Brooks / University of Washington / Graduate School of Library and Information Science

>I recently wrote a grant to OCLC proposing to investigate
>the enhanced writing functionalities provided by embedded multimedia,
>etc.  The grant application is at
>http://weber.u.washington.edu/~tabrooks/Documents/OCLCGrant.htm

                           *********************************

_Internet Journal of Chemistry_

An e-journal with great embedded multimedia is the _Internet Journal of Chemistry_ at:

        http://www.ijc.com/multimedia.html
         http://www.ijc.com/

[It has a separate left-hand frame index with a "Multimedia"
index! [Impressive!]]

                  **********************************
_Internet Archeology_

         Here is a sitation to an excellent review article I learned
about from my earlier posting

  http://intarch.ac.uk/news/eva97.html

     It details the early experience with embedded multimedia in an
Internet journal of archaeology.

Multimedia Information Retrieval

  Of special note in a broader context in a research proposal awarded to Mark
Rorvig, Associate Professor with the School of Library and Information Sciences
at the University of North Texas that will seek to develop and refine a retrieval system for 'composite' formats of text, image, and sound. A description of the
proposal is available at:

                 http://archive.lis.unt.edu:2000/fall801/intel.htm

  In addition, I now searched the INSPEC database and identified
a good dozen or so articles, papers related to Embedded Multimedia in E-Journals which I will read and weave into my newsletter review [I wish to personally thank Adam Philippidis
from  IEEE for recommending a key work published last year
by the IEEE: Socioeconomic Dimensions of Electronic Publishing Workshop (1998 : Santa Barbara, California). IEEE, 1998.
[OCLC: 40391589]

          Thanks again to all who responded!

          As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, critiques, comments, questions, concerns, etc., etc. regarding this
post are Most Welcome.

  Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

   "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                              Alan Kay
     http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/GASCH.KAY.HTML