Networked printer headaches

Stacy Pober Spober at manhattan.edu
Thu May 13 18:37:04 EDT 1999

We are in transition from having limited printer access to a new setup
where an annual student fee will pay for printing on campus.

Our old setup had applications locally loaded on the computers, with TCP/IP
access to the internet.  We blocked saving to local drives using security
software (which worked reasonably well to protect unauthorized saving from
Netscape, but didn't protect from MS Office applications at all.)
Although the computers were physically connected to the network and were
using TCP/IP, they did not have a Novell login to the campus servers.

To access a Novell printer queue, we would have to install the Novell
login.  This is proving to be a big problem.  The students have a login
called "system" which allows them access to a lot of applications other
than the ones we provided, and some Novell settings actually are blocking
our security software from running by doing something to it on the registry
level.  (The word "hive" came up in discussions with the network people.)

What I would like is to network this printer without a Novell login.  I
assume that since the printer is directly attached to our network via a
NIC card, that it has its own IP address.  Is there any way we can simply
send print jobs to a particular IP address?  What software would we need to
do that?

And can anyone recommend security software that loads before the registry
initializes?  That might solve the Novell login problem.

Advance thanks,
Stacy
Stacy Pober                   mailto: spober at manhattan.edu
Information Alchemist         http://www.manhattan.edu/library/
Manhattan College Libraries   Voice: 718-862-7166
Riverdale, NY 10471           Fax:   718-862-7995