Limit access by generic domain?

Jane Ratner jratner at willard.lib.mi.us
Thu May 13 13:37:27 EDT 1999

Are there web server software packages that allow the host
to refuse access by domain type (not specific domain names)?  In
other words, can these servers be set to refuse any request coming from
any ".k12"  or ".lib" (etc.) connection?  (Our server doesn't
offer this ability, as nearly as I can tell.)

Forgive me if I should know the answer to this, but the recent discussion
about an "adult" site requesting that a library prevent its patrons
from going there raised the question in my mind.  If such limitation is
technically possible on the server side, it seems to me that such sites
would be saving themselves a lot of grief from potential regulators if
they would just prevent schools (and/or public libraries???) from
viewing their material or commiting fraud from their domains.

Just a thought.

Jane Ratner
Willard Public Library
Battle Creek, Michigan