"systems librarians"

Alice McNeil amcneil at uw7.barat.edu
Tue May 4 20:44:53 EDT 1999

> > I would like to learn more about that myterious role of the
> > "systems librarian"  because it will benefit me tremendously here to take on
> > a little bit of that role.  Where do I start?  I was thinking
> > - a computer science class of an "introduction to computer systems."  ???

> The book, The Systems Librarian by Thomas Wilson, pub by ALA last year is
> not a bad place to start for general descriptions.

I recently read Wilson's book, including the relevant chapter entitled
"The Education of a Systems Librarian".  I was still left in the dark as
to how one becomes a "systems librarian."  Wilson emphasizes hands on
experience as a significant source of "systems" knowledge, but doesn't
go into any detail as far as educational requirements.

What kind (if any) formal education is recommended to qualify for these
positions:  a B.A. in computer science?  A minor in computer science?
Microsoft certification in Novell and NT?  Is there a mentoring
arrangement where one systems person learns from another more
experienced technician?

I'd also be curious to know how many women work as systems librarians.
"Systems", appears to be a male dominated area of librarianship.

Alice McNeil
Public Services Librarian
Sr. Madeleine Sophie Cooney Library
Barat College