[WEB4LIB] How to do a menu for library workstations?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue May 4 18:30:08 EDT 1999

I'm using an html front end.  Links go to other web pages or a scripts
that run a CD Products from a tower or locally depending on the product
and its license.  The CD Tower software maps drives that I have defined
in it using the tower's Meridian Data software.  The scripting program
that I use, NTScript for 95/98/nt, is capable of mapping drives.  You
can download NTScript at www.rethinkit.com and try a fully functional
copy no limitations built in.  I've licensed over 100 copies, one for
each workstation but you can run it from a server.  Set  mime types on
the web server and helper apps on web browser to use it, then use html
design as you like.

Thomas

"Gary E. Masters" wrote:

> Our Director of Public Services, wants a menu system for our reference area
> workstations.  Right now, we have icons in a Windows environment (protected
> by Fortres) with extended descriptions under the icons.  I tried one with
> the HP Desktop Administrator (formerly Norton Desktop Administrator) but it
> would not load every time without problems.  Now we are testing a version
> using the Novell Applications Launcher.  It loadw with NetWare and if you
> connect you already have the ZEN connection.  It will map and unmap drives
> and that is a bit plus with more database directories than letters in the
> alphabet.  However, it is not pure text and is more like the Windows
> environment that we have now.  Both Internet sources and server based
> sresources are on the menu.
>
> Does anyone know of a text based system that can be run over NetWare?  I
> have been unable to locate one, and want to know that I have covered all of
> the options.  If not a text based system, what can be made to look like a
> text based system?  One very close would do.  We want lots of information
> on screen to tell people what they have and how to use it.
>
> What do you do for reference workstations?  We need to know what the world
> is doing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Masters
>
> Gary E. Masters
> Automated Services Librarian
> Texas A&M International University
> (956) 326-2137 (voice)
> (956) 326-2399 (fax)

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine