New Listserv Member

Huntington Woods Library htwd at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon May 3 14:11:07 EDT 1999

Hello Everyone,

I was pleased to learn of this discussion group while searching the
Internet the other day. I feel that it is wonderful way to communicate
with other professionals working withing the library/computer science
field.  I am the webmaster of the Huntington Woods Public Library in the
lovely state of Michigan.  I am also a first year Computer Science major
at Hiram College in Northeastern Ohio.  To view the web site I maintain
please point your browser to...

http://www.huntington-woods.lib.mi.us
(I will soon be replacing it with the site at
http://www.huntington-woods.lib.mi.us/new/test.html)

I am a very strong advocate of not censoring the internet, however in
public libraries I see some challenges.  I will express my views at a
later time.

In the meantime, I was curious as to the general opinion of using CSS.  I
am using both the new versions of Netscape and IE, and the library uses
Netscape 4.0.   However, there seem to be some problems when viewing the
new page I am creating.  They see illegible black text on a navy
background, while I see white text.  Would anyone reccomend steering away
from CSS and stick with plan HTML?

Moreover, if anyone has any ideas for what to include within a public
library web site please e-mail me.  Thanks!  I look forward to
contributing my opinion on first amendment and other issues in the near
future.

Brent Pliskow
Huntington Woods Public Library
Webmaster