[WEB4LIB] Re: Dr. Laura is on topic

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon May 3 12:57:20 EDT 1999

At 08:35 AM 5/3/99 -0700, Nick Arnett wrote:
>  As alternative sources of information -- points of view -- become more
>accessible, I would hope that people begin to think more about why
>messages like Dr. Laura's get air time.
>
>Personally, I see her as a predator, pandering to both callers and her
>audience, helping neither one.

There are many who do that very thing.  Jerry Springer.  Rush
Limbaugh.  Several other TV "talk shows" (provide your own list, which
might vary slightly from mine).

>Perhaps it is overly contemptuous, but I
>have a hard time believing that either one has any real desire for
>counsel.

Now, now, Nick.....don't you think that the "battling bimbos" on Jerry
Springer want to really "fix their marriages"?   Naaahhh, me either.

>It's entertainment masquerading as the truth, which is very
>dangerous, especially when it turns people against institutions whose
>missions are not so cynical.

I've not heard it put that way before.....thanks for the great angle on it.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165