Brainstorming time! - Multiple monitors

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Tue Mar 30 18:50:22 EST 1999

A while back, I elicited some brainstorming on the possibilities of using a
dual-monitor display in libraries. Herewith is a summary of responses.

WHAT I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT
I'm not talking about running the same display to two monitors. That has been
possible all along, with a splitter cable. Of course, space can be an issue,
and privacy can be an issue. But as was pointed out, a reference desk would be
a possible setup for this.

I'm also not talking about running multiple programs on one screen. Some folks
still don't understand this aspect of Windows!

WHAT I _AM_ TALKING ABOUT
You can configure two or more monitors as a virtual desktop. You can drag
applications from one to another. You can even have an app running half on one
and half on another. You can have one program running on one monitor and a
different program running on another.

PLATFORMS
Although I mentioned that this was possible on Windows 98, it is ALSO possible
in the upcoming Windows 2000. And yes, Mac-o-philes, this has been an option
on Macintosh for a while.

COST
Some people raised the issue of cost, as compared to one large monitor.
Actually, multiple monitors would be MUCH cheaper, because the price of
monitors goes up drastically beyond about 17".

FRONT-AND-BACK OF THE COUNTER APPLICATIONS
Several people pointed out the confidentiality issues if the same data were
shown on a patron monitor as the staff saw. However, I wonder if there might
be some way to present only CERTAIN information to the patron.

SIDE-BY-SIDE APPLICATIONS
Some folks proposed, or are actually using, two monitors set up in a
side-by-side arrangement, such as for a) web design software on one, web
browser on the other; b) multiple resolutions of web screens testable at once;
c) graphic design on a large monitor, with simultaneous "other" work on the
other monitor; d) cataloging on one monitor, with a source such as OCLC on the
other.

I hope this has been interesting.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760