[WEB4LIB] Drop down menus for library home page

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Mar 30 08:06:44 EST 1999

Gerald,

What I think you are trying to do can be done using Javascript or using CGI.  Fortunately, you don't need to be a Javascript expert to add this functionality.  Webreference provides a tool that will automatically create the necessary code that you can then add into your page.  See:

http://www.webreference.com/js/menus/

Webreference is also a great place to get acquanited with Javascript, DHTML, and other new web concepts through their excellent on-going series of tutorials.

Now the standard word-of-caution:
Relying exclusively on Javascript to provide these menus may cause problems for your users.  Some browsers may not support Javascript, some users may have it disable, etc.  To avoid blocking out your users, you may want to provide a link to an alternative page that provides these links in a text format.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI