[WEB4LIB] videoconferencing in the Library

Linda Woods Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Mon Mar 29 00:22:45 EST 1999

At 07:04 AM 3/28/99 -0800, Dondi Michael wrote:
>I am interested in knowing about videoconferencing projects in
>college/university Libraries.  Specifically, are many using
>videoconferencing for interlibrary meetings, bibliographic instruction,
>library tours, other distance learning projects, or other reasons.  Has
>this been successful?

We created a web-based resource for schools and libraries using or
interested in using videoconferencing. Information about videoconferencing
uses, access to a videoconferencing listserv, and an interactive directory
of others using videoconferencing can be found at
http://www.kn.pacbell.com/vidconf.

I am also enclosing this  excerpt from a recent listserv posting. All of
the Community College districts in California received videoconferencing
units as part of a three year grant. I suggest you contact the person who
sent this message for more info. As far as I know, all of the units were
placed in the library.

>I have recently noticed several small colleges/universities that have
>videoconferencing capabilities outside the Library that are just not
>being used.  Usually a grant of some sort funded the building of a
>videoconferencing facility, and then it is not maintained.  Is this also
>happening in Libraries?  Where do Librarians see videoconferencing
>fitting into the Library?  Are Libraries waiting for direction from the
>rest of the campus to see whether distance learning will be embraced by
>the institution.  Are some Libraries going it alone?

I think you'll find the whole gamut of answers to these questions. You
might want to check Blue Web'n (http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/bluewebn)
using distance education as a search term. Here's one of the 32 hits that I
got:
http://www.uidaho.edu/evo/distglan.html (see guide #11 for videoconferencing).

Also try ADEC, the American Distance Education Consortium, at
http://www.adec.edu/

I have heard that DEOS (Distance Education Online Symposium) is a great
listserv for distance learning. You can find info at the American Center
for the Study of Distance Learning (http://www.ed.psu.edu/acsde/).

>I have too many questions for this murky area.  Thanks for any input.

Join a videoconferencing or distance ed listserv and ask your questions
again. Be ready for the whole world to respond!

Linda Woods Hyman
Pacific Bell Education First
(619) 237-2020
http://www.kn.pacbell.com