videoconferencing in the Library

Dondi Michael Dondi at stratos.net
Sun Mar 28 10:07:28 EST 1999

I am interested in knowing about videoconferencing projects in
college/university Libraries.  Specifically, are many using
videoconferencing for interlibrary meetings, bibliographic instruction,
library tours, other distance learning projects, or other reasons.  Has
this been successful?

I have recently noticed several small colleges/universities that have
videoconferencing capabilities outside the Library that are just not
being used.  Usually a grant of some sort funded the building of a
videoconferencing facility, and then it is not maintained.  Is this also
happening in Libraries?  Where do Librarians see videoconferencing
fitting into the Library?  Are Libraries waiting for direction from the
rest of the campus to see whether distance learning will be embraced by
the institution.  Are some Libraries going it alone?

I have too many questions for this murky area.  Thanks for any input.
-Dondi Michael