Browser cache maintenance: Follow-up question

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Thu Mar 25 17:36:34 EST 1999

Charles Gambrell asked:

>Has anyone tried this on IE 3?  How can you clear the history file for each
>user?

History's a separate problem (as distinct from clearing the address bar - you
can prevent those from accumulating by deleting the Typed_URLs key in the
Registry).

I finally had to resort to turning off the read-only and system attributes for
the history folders and then deleting them entirely.  I do this during the
initial configuration, so the history is not stored at all, unlike the cache
files.  (Didn't try this in IE3, because I blocked the View | Options menu and
there is no History button.)  In IE4, I get the main C:\Winnt\History and also
the one in the public account profile, or else it keeps rising from the dead.

If you seal off the options menu in IE3 (the inetcpl.cpl Control Panel), that
might be good enough, although technically you can still see it by pressing
Ctrl-H.  I didn't know that until I started working with IE4.

Looking forward to IE5's customizable toolbar!

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org