Is Puerto Rico in the US???

Josh Kuperman sar_kuper at sals.edu
Thu Mar 25 11:42:55 EST 1999

	Perhaps I just missed something obvious, but
I spent about an hour on this and got nowhere.

	I was trying to help a patron use some of the
standard online phone directories. She was looking for
a number in Puerto Rico. Every directory I tried had
a list of states to narrow down US searches.

	There was no entry for Puerto Rico or the Virgin
Islands. I spent the most time looking at http://www.anywho.com
and http://www.infospace.com. I had expected that they
would use PR and VI, which are the official postal
abbrevations.

	The post offic http://www.usps.gov/ncsc refers to
it as a list of "states and possessions". I could find
other countries easily enough but apparently either I'm
missing something or possesions are being excluded.

--
Josh Kuperman        Saratoga Springs Public Library
sar_kuper at sals.edu   49 Henry St