[WEB4LIB] Off-site access to IP restricted resources

Christopher Stewart stewart at charlie.cns.iit.edu
Mon Mar 22 23:21:24 EST 1999

We use MS Proxy Server 2.0 for off campus access to 23 IP restricted databases
(http://www.gl.iit.edu/database/database.htm). It  works well so long as the database
vendors are using relative path URLs, which most are. Scripts our web server can detect
not IIT-domain IP addresses and prompt the use with instructions on how to set their
browser for Proxy access.

The rest is as much an administrative issue as a technical one. Schools using advanced
authentication systems such as kerberos generally have integrated, campus wide
administrative systems in which users have a standardized net ID such as a PIN, which
give users gateway access to various services on the network. At IIT, not all users
have kerberos IDs (only those who have PPP accounts), and the registrar does not
support them. Legacy system still abound at many schools, and integration is often the
exception rather than the rule.

What this means is that user accounts can be a pain. We support 5000 users, and
accounts must be adjusted every semester according to one's registration status. The
library is not in the business of maintaining this kind of information, of course.
Since our system does not talk to the registrar's, we had a  middleware application
written. It takes a delimited text file, delivered by the register two times a
semester, and converts the names into Proxy accounts. After that, it's just a matter of
some NT busy work on technician's part. Users authenticate to the system via their
student IDs.

The most difficult part of the whole process was figuring out how to get the user data
into the Proxy server with the least hassle. Obviously, we were not planning on
creating accounts manually. If this kind of thing is not too great of an issue  for
you, I would suggest NT Proxy for its ease of use. It's not as beefy as kerberos, but
it does the job.

--
Christopher Stewart
Associate Director for Network Services