[WEB4LIB] drop-down menus

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Mar 22 09:00:54 EST 1999

The quick answer to your question is No.  Text in HTML cannot
simultaneously be in an <OPTION> element (drop-down menu item) and in an
<A> element (hypertext link).

The longer answer is, "It depends on what your definition of Link is."  It
has become common for page authors to use JavaScript OnChange actions to
try to force a link-like behavior in which simply clicking on a menu item
takes you to a new page.  There aren't many things I find more frustrating
and wrong than this: it undermines users' understanding of how <SELECT>
and <OPTION> are intended to work; it prevents them from changing their
mind or correcting a mis-click; and it tempts authors to leave out Submit
buttons, making their pages totally inaccessible to people with JavaScript
turned off.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu