Information Technology plans

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Mar 19 22:52:47 EST 1999

I'd be interested if any of you can refer me to a URL for something like a
"University Plan for Information Technology" (or Educational Technology, or
similar name).  I'm on the Boise State University Computer Governance
Committee, which is charged with handling institutional computer and
networking policies and related issues.  Another group, consisting of a
couple VPs, a couple profs, a couple of "technology administrators", and a
couple deans has come up with a draft that goes on for a dozen or more
pages, containing such deathless prose as:

"The overriding challenge inherent in realizing such opportunities,
however, lies in finding a balanced approach to using information
technologies to address and reconcile the tension among the interrelated
dynamics of access, quality, and cost.  On one hand, information
technologies can be used to expand access to educational programs and
information available worldwide, to reduce or eliminate the traditional
barriers of distance and time, and to enable students to learn more
conveniently or even independently as drivers of their own
learning."   (huh?  what?  good grief!)   Anyone who can read more than a
few sentences without peals of laughter or waves of nausea is much stronger
than my colleagues or me.

Basically, it seems to say, and to need to say:

Information Technology is important in higher education.
We need to use it in all appropriate situations.
It will be particularly important for distance education.
We'll find money wherever we can to do what we need to do.
We'll have to encourage the people who don't want to change.
We'll have to cooperate in all areas.
Some standards will be necessary.

What I'd add is one of my standard expressions: "We'll try to stay near the
leading edge, but off of the bleeding edge."

I'm not particularly hopeful that I'll be able to convince any of the
powers that we could make the whole thing a page or two instead of a dozen
or more, but I'd sure appreciate any references that might help in that
effort.  Web references are ideal, or attachments in any standard format
are fine too.

Thanks

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/