[WEB4LIB] Limiting Web-based email: a solution?

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Mar 19 18:46:32 EST 1999

This is an interesting approach, and obviously works.  As some of you have
noted previously, our system of an inexpensive proxy server does even
better, and also gives you the benefit of logs you can analyze for all user
transactions.  This will let you know what resources, subjects, etc, are of
most interest to your users, much as you may analyze circulation
statistics.  Plus, we've found some interesting and useful resources from
looking at the logs that we'd never heard of.  Of course you can also see
the OTHER "interesting resources" that people go to, but we ignore that
issue unless someone complains of sexual harassment.

Whatever technique you use, you may wish to look at my fairly comprehensive
list of free email and chat sites on the web that is on www.84.com.  That
list will be updated this weekend with a number of new ones, and will be
updated as necessary in the future.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/