[WEB4LIB] Brainstorming time! - Multiple monitors

Beth Carpenter bcarpent at owlsnet.owls.lib.wi.us
Fri Mar 19 16:24:45 EST 1999

I am using multiple monitors when designing our library system's web
site.  There are several reasons why this is a big advantage for me:

1. I can have one monitor set at a 640 by 480 screen resolution (some of
our member libraries are still using smaller monitors on this setting)
and have the other set at 800 by 600.  When I view my web page, I can
then tell if the design is suitable in both resolutions in one glance.

2. People send me information on disks or via file sharing on our
network for me to convert to HTML.  I can view the files in their
original program on one monitor, and then cut and paste from it into my
HTML editor on the other monitor.  It's much easier to plan a page
layout when I can see the "print" version at the same time.

3. I can have my HTML editor open on one monitor and my browser open on
the other, so that I can see my code and the browser view at the same
time.  It makes fixing problems much easier.

So, multiple monitors can be very useful at least for design purposes.
I'm using an Appian Duet AGP video card, since I was running out of PCI
slots on my computer. Hope this helps,

Beth Carpenter
Electronic Resources Librarian
Outagamie Waupaca Library System