[WEB4LIB] Thin clients for web OPACs

Carl R. Sandstedt csandste at mail.win.org
Tue Mar 16 17:36:14 EST 1999

We're fooling around with a test copy of Caldera's web based browser-- it
can be purchased with DRDos.  I'm sure with memory prices as cheap as they
are that there is no room for an application that can sit on a small DOS
footprint, but this is one amazing product.  It does everything important
that the big browsers do including a usable e-mail client. Graphics are
almost impossible to tell from Windows and it runs FAST.  The new beta
version does not require a modem.

We may retrofit it on some old 486's and take them to senior citizens
centers-- load it into an autoexec bat file and if grandpa gets confused,
all he has to do is hit the reset button.

Evaluation copies are downloadable on Caldera's web site.

At 01:20 PM 3/16/99 -0800, bmazin wrote:
>We are planning for the migration of our OPACs from terminals to a web-based
>PC interface (probably about 15 nodes).  Only the web catalog will be
>accessed on the client -- no other electronic products, no access to the
>rest of the web.  Does anyone have experience in using a thin client
>solution for this application -- specifically a product like HP's NetVectra
>GT310?

Carl R. Sandstedt
Director
St. Charles City-County Library District
PO Box 529--- 425 Spencer Road
Saint Peters, MO 63376-0529

314-441-2300, ext 1591
314-441-3132  Fax