[WEB4LIB] History project

Brian Bell bellb at opl.on.ca
Tue Mar 16 16:24:57 EST 1999

Hello Linda.  A consortium of libraries (HALINET) here in Ontario have been
indexing our local newspapers for some time and making the results available
for searching, and in some cases display of the actual scanned images of our
papers, over the Internet as you are describing.  We welcome you to take a
look at the results of our work at:
http://199.235.122.50/halinet/halhome.htm
and then following the link on the side bar to our demonstration page where
the links to the live databases have been pulled together along with some
background information that might be of use to you.

All of the applications that you see have been developed locally.  We have
been approached by a number of libraries also interested in the work we've
done and the possibilities of sharing or purchasing services.  You could
always contact me offline if you need further information.

At 04:26 PM 3/10/99 -0800, Linda Draz wrote:
>We are considering providing Internet access to a fairly large local
>history collection.  I would appreciate suggestions from someone who has
>
>scanned this type of information (largely newspaper clippings) on how to
>
>provide simple indexing.   We hope to utilize volunteers so simplicity
>is important.   Thanks in advance, Linda Draz

Brian Bell
Manager of Support Services
Oakville Public Library
ph:  905-815-2027