Network Printing Setups for Public Internet Workstations

Henry Ehresman ehresmhe at oplin.lib.oh.us
Thu Mar 11 10:09:06 EST 1999

Hello,

My name is Henry Ehresman and I am a Systems technician for the Lane Public
Library in Hamilton, OH.  I have been a subscriber and a lurker to Web4Lib
for many months and this is my first post to an electronic list.

Our library is ready to install a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4000N network
laser for our patron's use at our main branch.  This printer will initially
be used by five public computers that have access to the Internet via
Netscape Navigator 4.05 and a T-1 line.  Up until this point only a handful
of the Internet computers at our main branch had printing capabilities
(inkjet printers locally attached through an LPT port).  Also, at this time
the library has a 20 page limit per person that, up till now has mainly
been enforced by the difficulty of printing off more than 20 pages on a
slow inkjet (5-8 pages per minute).

Our immediate concern is how to roll out this new type of printer so that
staff will be able to manage and maintain it with the least amount of work.
 We are looking for feedback, suggestions, success and horror stories
relating to using networked laser printers for public computers that have a
graphical interface to the Internet.  And we are looking for suggestions
for what type of instructions and procedures will be necessary for the
staff to keep this printer operating with the smallest amount of downtime.

Some examples of the type of questions we are looking for answers to are:

Should the printer be located at a central location such as a staff desk
where staff can manage and maintain the steady flow of public print jobs to
the laser printer?
Or should the printer be located near the computers and away from the staff
desk and the patron's are responsible for the flow of print jobs?
Should patron's be allowed to refill the paper trays or should that be left
to staff only?
Depending on where the printer is located how do we deal with both
excessive print jobs and unclaimed print jobs clogging the output tray?
The Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4000N is rated at 17 pages per minute.  Will
it be fast enough to handle a steady stream of print jobs from Internet
browsers from 5 or 6 computers?  Can it handle more computers?  Or fewer?

The above questions are just the ones I can think of right now.  If the
past is ever an indicator of the future, I'll remember 2-3 more questions
five seconds are I send this email.

I will greatly appreciate any and all replies about this situation.

If you do not think my email warrants an open discussion to the Web4Lib
electronic list, feel free to email me directly at the address in my
signature file below.

Sincerely,
Henry Ehresman

Henry Ehresman