[WEB4LIB] Arbitrary knee jerk over reactive authoritarians and public libraries.

Robert J. Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Thu Mar 11 08:10:15 EST 1999

Don Saklad wrote:
> We need to recruit more innovative more open public library leadership....
> Our public library environment should be one that rewards creativity,

I agree wholeheartedly--in and beyond the library community--indeed all of
academia.  As the library profession is now infinitely entwined with Internet
and computer technologies, which evolve on a weekly basis, staff _and_
administrative creativity must be heightened and preserved, especially in the
wide realm of cataloging, where new information ever challenges orthodox
taxonomies.  Administrators must be very sensitive to this and not quick to
defend the status quo.  There are "better ways," and staff members _must_ be
afforded opportunities to engage and discuss alternatives.  Successful
fulfillment of one's profession _demands_ it; this is no luxury.  This is
mandatory.  Any step to the contrary wreaks socially unacceptable havoc on
intellectual freedom and ultimately disserves the institution's patrons.  No
staff member should _ever_ be made to fear free speech, as long as it is
professionally rendered, not libellous or disinforming or endangering,
clearly presented as the individual's (not the institution's) point of view,
and not expressly contrary to the employing institution's mission statement.

Insubordination occurs at the adminstrative level too, when administrators
cease hearing and addressing the needs of their staff and public and turn
their backs on the larger dictate of common sense and universal human rights,
which would include the freedom of speech and the right to peaceful assembly.
Those administrators in disagreement to this need to rexamine their roles,
reevaluate their every position, and recognize, as must any leader in any
capacity, if they are still leading or, in actuality, have now become the
primary impediments to institutional progress and betterment.  If they
cannot do this, they must be replaced with competent, open-minded, and
willfully democratic leaders.  This extends to any related reigning board
member who does not support the freedoms requisite to satisfy community needs
and mission statments.  Without these reassuring items in place, staff
members will continue to conduct their actions with self-censure, fearfully,
and according to stifling parameters.  Chilling scenarios, as you can see.

Administrators would do also well to take this opportunity to promote
internal forums and reassure each staff member they support their staff's
rights, as professionals (and more generally, human beings of the approaching
21st Century) to communicate with each other and function without fear of
reproach or removal, as their jobs require.  Do it by way of memorandum,
staff meeting or in person, but let the workers know.  And now, a reminder:
Administrator, from the Latin administrare, from ad + ministrare:  to serve

Respectfully submitted,
Robert J. Tiess

rjtiess at warwick.net
http://members.tripod.com/~rtiess