[WEB4LIB] The GIMP

sean dreilinger sean at durak.org
Mon Mar 8 23:56:34 EST 1999

Roy Tennant wrote:
> I recently ran into a program called the GNU Image Manipulation Program
> (or, you guessed it, "The GIMP" -- and don't hassle me, I didn't think it
> up). It is suppposedly a full-featured image editing program similar to
> Adobe Photoshop. It is Open Source software (distributed under the GNU

thats right. and it started at berkeley iirc.

> Public License) and runs under Linux. The web site is at

and most other unix/x11 boxes, and ports in various states to os/2,
win32, etc.

> http://www.gimp.org/ . Has anyone out there used it yet?  What do you
> think of it? I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has used both The
> GIMP and Photoshop. Thanks,

i use the gimp whenever i can, which is almost all the time now for
digital image and graphics manipulation. the gimp has some very nice
features, esp support for web tricks (the integration of layering and
animated gif creation is brilliant) support for compressed image files
(e.g. work directly with .gz files) and network image formats.

somewhere i overheard that gimp does or will soon support photoshop
plugins, in addition to its own (already-there) scripting and plugin
features. anyone know more about that?

the http://www.gimp.org/ web site does a much better job of describing
and documenting gimp, i just find it a pleasure to work with.

hope you have time to set it up and try it out for yourself!

--
                          sean dreilinger, mlis
                          mailto:sean at durak.org
                          http://durak.org/sean