Blocking access to C: drive from browsers

Marty Williams marwil at onkaparinga.sa.gov.au
Mon Mar 8 22:43:11 EST 1999

Hi all,

Heres a little trick that you may be aware of that our 'smarter' public patrons have gotten onto as a means of getting around security on workstations (we use Everybodys Menu Builder). Regardless of what front end security is setup, once any Internet browser is opened, they simply type 'C:' into the URL box and 'viola' instant access to hard drive (or any other network drive they chose to substitute for the above.

Does anyone have any ideas for avoiding this? Have considered renaming the drives, but there are only 26 options for them to try.

Cheers
Marty

Marty Williams
Team Leader