[WEB4LIB] basic authentication problem with IIS4?

Glen Davies glen at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Mon Mar 8 18:59:20 EST 1999

Hi again

I will answer part of my own question here. I did a bit more digging
and came up with an IIS registry entry that changes the rights
required from logon locally to access via network. You just add a
new DWORD value to the preferences section of the IIS service
called LogonMethod. Default value of 0 requires Logon locally, 1
requires logon as batch job and 2 is access via net
work.
This means a user just needs rights to access the computer via
the network, and not to log on locally. It seems to work.

Now my only problems is I don't seem to be able to get users from
another domain to access restricted resources with basic
authentication. Users from our Library domain can access
restricted files and folders ok, but users from our Labs domain
can't, even though Library and Labs have a trusted/trusting
relationship, and I have given the labs users rights to access the
IIS computer from the network and granted them NTFS rights to the
restricted files. I can get it to work with NT challenge and response
and putting labs\  before the username, but the majority of our
users are on Netscape so I would rather have it working with basic
authentication. Any clues any one?

Regards
Glen