basic authentication problem with IIS4?

Glen Davies glen at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Mon Mar 8 17:48:12 EST 1999

Greeting and salutations

We are wanting to restrict access to some resources via basic
authentication on IIS4. We want to use exisiting NTFS permissions
to do this, ie. Students have NT login rights to certain lab
directories already and we want to just have these same rights
carry over to IIS. The problem is that it appears that the only way a
user can get access to an restricted resource via IIS is if the user
id they use has rights to log on locally to the server involved. None
of the documentation I have looked at about IIS secruity has
mentioned this, I came to this conclusion by adding and removing
permissions until I got it to work.
We don't want to have to give all the student groups rights to logon
locally to the server for obvious reasons, so if anybody has the low
down on getting IIS basic authentication to work some other way I
would be grateful.

Regards
Glen
Glen Davies