[WEB4LIB] Re: Academic Library Web Pages

Matt Wilcox matthew.wilcox at yale.edu
Mon Mar 1 17:43:25 EST 1999

I have almost complete control over my library's site--only a few suggested
page elements from the university library (link to university library site,
etc...) and having to answer to the head of my library.  No one is policing
any of the suggested policies either, although I am sure I would get a
phone call pretty quick if I started doing anything weird  :)

IMHO, we are information professionals and should have every right to
control the format and content of our pages. We work and network to
maintain our autonomy and always try to be a part of any discussions that
could turn into some sort of policy that we would have to abide by.

--matt

At 02:07 PM 3/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Tami-Jo Eckley <eckleyt at mville.edu> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know if any of you are completely in charge of what goes
>> into your Home Page/Site or if you need to be consistent with the rest of
>> the college's site.  Do you need to answer to the college's Webmaster or
>> does the library have autonomy.  I would really appreciate input on this
>> since we are currently undergoing major change at Manhattanville
>> College, and at present, we must answer to the College Webmaster.
>
>I hope some of you Academic folks will respond online to this, as this is a
>question that has just come up as I've started to try to update and improve
>what is called the "library home page" on our site.  I've come up against a
>department which controls what is put on and when, through a committee
>which doesn't meet, using policies that are not published.  I'm trying to
>write a short "memo" right now arguing why the library should have
>control over its own content, must have timely access to getting it on the
>web site, and that the web site must be used for something more than just
>a public relations tool.  Any help posted to Tami-Jo will be of great use to
>me also, so please either forward it to the list, or put my address in the
>CC field.
>
>Thanks,  Joe
>

>________________________________
>
>Joe H. Rose
>rosej at flcoll.edu
>
>Florida College, Chatlos Library
>119 N. Glen Arven Ave.
>Temple Terrace, FL  33617
>(813) 899-6777

Matt Wilcox, Reference Librarian, Webmaster
matthew.wilcox at yale.edu  |  http://info.med.yale.edu/library/
Yale University,  Cushing/Whitney Medical Library
333 Cedar Street,  P.O. Box 208014,  New Haven, CT  06520-8014
203 735 2163 - voice  |  203 785 4369 - fax
PDC