[WEB4LIB] Classification Tools

Nick Arnett listbot at mccmedia.com
Sun Mar 14 17:40:19 EST 1999

At 02:16 PM 3/14/99 -0800, Ken McCracken wrote:

>> I am working on a project to build a browsing interface for Early English
>> documents. We're trying to find a good approach for creating and
populating a
>> topic tree to provide subject-based browsing. Our plan is to explore
>> semi-automated solutions for indexing the documents. I'm interested in
finding
>> out about software tools that will automatically classify the documents, or
>> populate a manually created topic tree. We are aware of some products
already,
>> such as Verity's Content Classification Engine.

Sometime very soon, Verity is supposed to ship the Knowledge Organizer,
which should address this problem even more closely.  I was its product
manager until about a year ago, when I left Verity.  I haven't heard of
anything quite like it.  You might also look at Autonomy's tools.  I
haven't seen them in quite a while, but they were headed in the same
general direction.  There were some others around, but nothing that was
really a product, last knew.  You might dig up the TREC results and see
which tools scored well in classification.  TREC includes research projects
that might have something to offer, as well as commercial products.

I'm guessing that the Content Classification Engine is the new name of the
Agent Server Toolkit?

Nick