[WEB4LIB] Cd-roms/Universal stations?

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Wed Mar 3 14:09:10 EST 1999

I'd recommend network the CD-ROMS and enforce simultaneous uses via a
metering package (we use Softrack) which also gives you good use stats!
As long as you have enough memory on your CD-ROM server to amply cache the
CD-ROMS, response time should be fine (ours is).

Once this is in place order/negotiate with the publisher for network
versions of the software.  Usually there is no extra charge (but the work
to install them may be very difficult and may change for each update).
While you are talking with the publisher ask if it is OK to "open up" the
simultaneous uses for training purposes and then close it back down for
the training session. They will generally comply realizing that the
training will build more demand and thus you will be back next year for
more simultaneous users!  I'd recommend always comparing the CD-ROM price
to the web price -- and use the web access if the price is comparable.
Restricting to your local IP addresses or simultaneous users as
administered by the vendor's server is often easier than the installation
and hardware headaches when using a server.

While we are moving more and more to web accesses, the CD-ROM server is
being used more and more for Government documents published on CD-ROM!

Bob Jones                                    mailto:bjones at unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 620-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 620-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88