[WEB4LIB] Re: security programs

Genevieve Engel gengel at sfghdean.ucsf.edu
Wed Mar 31 19:12:12 EST 1999

At 12:59 PM 3/31/99 -0800, Kyle Harriss wrote:
>Advocating the abandonment of aftermarket "security"
>programs:

I'll second this.  Possibly security programs have recently gotten much
more capable and easier to use, but I found ours to be more trouble than it
was worth.  I dumped the security program on the Win 95 kiosk stations.  I
use Microsoft's Poledit to secure the stations.  (I also went into the
mouse settings and set the right mouse button to ordinary click/select,
same as the left mouse button.  No Netscape Wallpaper problems on those
stations!)

In the training room which has additional software available to patrons,
I'm rolling out Win NT and applying file- and directory-level security in
addition to using Poledit to put security settings in the registry.

I use Ghost to replicate an entire hard drive.  This speeds up the NT
rollout and also leaves me with a handy disk image in case a user does
manage to goof things up.

I use NT's "at" command to start up a schedule service that runs a batch
file early each morning.  The batch file replaces the Netscape bookmarks,
clears out My Documents, etc.

Genny Engel
gengel at sfghdean.ucsf.edu