INFOMINE Version 3 Release

jmason jmason at citrus.ucr.edu
Mon Mar 29 18:11:16 EST 1999

Dear Colleagues,

We’re proud to announce that Version 3 of INFOMINE (new URL:
http://infomine.ucr.edu) has now been released. This work was graciously
enabled
in part via a $10,000 grant from the Librarians Association of the University
of California. INFOMINE is a product of librarians working together from
across
the libraries of the University of California. In our sixth year of service to
academia and the UC, INFOMINE offers access to over 15,000 resources (both
free/fee based access) of value to researchers and students. INFOMINE employs
Library of Congress Subject Heading terminology and is Dublin Core compliant.
INFOMINE received close to 8,000,000 file accesses and 660,000 search sessions
(averaging five searches per) during 1998.

Version 3 contains the following new features for users:

  -many more search options (e.g., kw/exact phrase searching; auto-truncation,
term grouping via parentheses);

  -many more display options (e.g., titles only and records displayed from
marked titles singly or in groups);

  -choice of all subjects to search, one subject or custom chosen groupings of
subjects;

  -an author field (previously in kw this data is being moved to the author
field);

  -an Ejournals file that will feature over 2,500 titles.

For content contributors there are many ways that we’ve streamlined the adding
and editing of records.

Almost completed is a URL checker that not only checks for bad URLs but seeks
out and finds URLs to which the resource has moved as well.

Other work to couple the INFOMINE virtual library approach with that of a
focused harvesting system is being explored in partnership between INFOMINE
participants and four computer scientists from the UCR Computer Science
Department. This work is being supported by a $300,000 grant from the Fund for
the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education of the U.S. Dept of Education.

Please take a look at INFOMINE. We would enjoy your comments. Please send
these
to Steve Mitchell (smitch at ucrac1.ucr.edu), Fred Yuengling
(yuengli at scilibx.ucsc.edu) or Lorelei Tanji (ltanji at uci.edu).

Thank You,