[WEB4LIB] Re: FW: Important Article -II

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Mar 29 14:57:11 EST 1999

At 11:05 AM 3/29/99 -0800, David Merchant wrote:
>Not to sound flippant, but since a serial generally costs a lot more than a
>book, sometimes very very very much more than a book, my answer to

I've got no problem with flippant.  I'm not arguing your point, but the
PRINCIPLE is the same.  Is a thousand dollar journal that is used only ten
times a year a better or worse expenditure, and why, than ten hundred
dollar books used once a year each?  (Note that that is intended as a
rhetorical questions, not the start of a new discussion)  Consider that an
essay question on the final of a class in collection development.

>>The problem you state is easily handled by "cooperative collection
>>development" or what is set up in some states or consortia as "last copy
>>storage".  NO ONE discards their copy if it is the last in the system, or
>>the last copy is sent to a central repository.
>
>OK, my fault, I should've said "book Y would not be very popular, so lets
>not buy it" and if every library thought that, it would never be bought,
>etc.  How would the cooperative collection development  handle that?
That is just another aspect of cooperative collection development.  If
library X and library Y are both interested in the history of the Balkans,
one tries to buy everything there is on the history of Albania while the
other tries to buy everything available on the history of Montenegro.  And,
of course, I'd hope that they had other partners to pick up the other areas
of the Balkans, too.  But each library would buy SOME on the other parts of
the region, as required by their local needs.  I've not worked in a SALALM
library in over a decade, but the system works pretty effectively for those
libraries specializing in the Latin American world.

>Library A must buy a book they'd rather not buy so that the other libraries
>won't have to and thus have at least one copy for ILL, then Library B must
>buy the next book, which they'd rather not buy either, so that other
>libraries won't have to but it'll be available by ILL.

Yup, that's about it, though you placed it in negative terms rather than
positive.

>The logistics of
>managing that Globally would be daunting to say the least.  Between two
>libraries, that would be do-able I would think.

Well, I'm old an cynical enough to think that NOTHING will ever work
"globally" for all libraries, all peoples, etc.  But that doesn't mean we
shouldn't work in those directions.  What is it that the bumper stickers
say: "Think globally, act locally"?  You can define local and global to
suit your needs, of course.

>That article is
>looking for a "Golden Bullet" for collection development, and there just
>ain't one folks.

No argument.  Panaceas don't exist, and are unlikely to, at least in this
world.  But again, we can work on improving cooperation and coordination,
too.  I was working in an academic library in Ohio when Fred Kilgour was
starting OCLC and there were plenty who said that would never work
either...that fifty odd academics in one state couldn't possibly agree on
anything.  And, they almost didn't.  But by good will, Fred's strength of
leadership, a few prayers, and some good luck, it came about, and even
spread a bit.   Heavens, it has finally spread to the Pacific
Northwest....just thirty years late.  o-)

>And if we go that route, and go more and more to it (OK, this may be a
>slippery slope fallacy but bear with me), then access time to books
>increase yet again.

Oh, come on.  Quit thinking about traditional books.  Think about getting
the right information to the right user at the right time.  If the on
demand publishing means it comes out of the laser printer connected to my
workstation, fine with me.  I don't need to wait for UPS, USPS, FedEx, or
anyone else delivering it to me in codex form in the case of most materials
of little use.

>There goes the library's budget!

Well, what you describe sounds like ILL to me.

>But the library is still spending ("wasting") monies on books that aren't
>used by the 80% of the patrons.
Check your books on the Pareto Principle.  80/20 rule, or 90/10 rule if you
prefer.  Every library has books that are five or ten years old that have
never been read, and particularly every academic library.

One of the areas I handle for this library is collection development for
Computer Info Systems (in the Coll of Business).  I recently weeded the
collections and got rid of a couple of old books on Business Use of the
Apple ][.   A colleague thought they should be kept for their historical
value.  Well, I hope someone keeps them for historical value, but that
should be MIT or CalTech or the Baker School or someone else.  They just
aren't needed at Boise State for BBA and MBA students.

>Ugh.  Scanned.  Studies have shown over and over that reading a book
>electronically is not as easy as reading it off of paper.  For articles,
>for short subjects, for some research, electronic options would be great.
>But to read some tome of forgotten lore electronically?  Nah.  Of course,
>one could print it out.

Exactly.  That's what laser printers and paper are for.  To be used.

> Which would mean high quality printer and all that
>paper printing out and out ... shifting the cost of production of the book
>from the publisher to the library or the patron or both.
Of course.  That is already happening, and will continue to as we see ever
more electronic publishing.  I'd much rather have the people who want it
print it and take it, just like students do with periodical articles.  No
one knows how to take notes any more....students just photocopy the article
and take it home, saving the hassle of checking things out or of taking
notes.  I see the same many times a day as students print full text
articles from the full text journals we have on the web from ABI Inform and
other sources.  And, the vast majority are smart enough to print out the
text file rather than the .pdf file when they print it, too.  They learn
quickly that it is as easy, or easier, to read, is machine manipulable, and
loads and prints much faster.  Besides, what will they do with all those
tree farms down in your part of the world if they don't turn them into paper?

>>Consider that multitude of alternatives out there.....let's think outside
>>of our traditional library boxes.
>
>I do all time :-).  I just don't believe that looking outside of the
>traditional box should mean discarding that box.  The answers aren't

Oh, I'm not in favor of discarding the box, or the codex.  Books will be
around, and new ones published, longer than you or I will be around.  But
they'll be augmented/supplemented by alternatives, too.  Just as TV didn't
destroy radio, ebooks won't destroy printed books.  But, just as the uses
of radio changed after television was around, the uses of books will change
too.  Radio used to have dramas, performances, and so forth, where now it
is almost completely news/talk/music in some combination.  Radio
changed.  Radio survived.

>always outside.  Once in awhile, they are some old tried and proven
>method.  Maybe just once in a great while, mind you!

No argument.  I'm not planning to throw out any babies with any
bathwater.  But we must also remember that some old things that still work
get discarded by changing technology, changing demands of consumers, and so
forth.  Phono records.  Vacuum tube hardware.  8 track stereo.  And on and
on.  I don't expect that to happen with books, at least until our
grandchildren get jacks in back of their ears.  Even then, fine books will
be cherished and preserved in museums, just as fine art is today.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165