[WEB4LIB] Re: FW: Important Article -II

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Mar 29 13:32:34 EST 1999

At 03:06 PM 3/28/99 -0800, David Merchant wrote:
>>This approach to collection development hurts our patrons in two ways.
>>First, we waste their money buying books they don't use,
>>just in case they might want them.
>
>Hmm, I've seen that it is often the buying of outrageously priced serials
>that most hurt our abilities to buy books.

Well, this is just another manifestation of the same thing.  It is buying
something that someone may want to use, or may not.  Yes, a serial
generally costs more than a book, but so what?

> If we have this great and glorious
>global catalog, the books still have to exist and sit somewhere, in some
>library, to be loaned out.  If every library goes "book Y is used only once
>a year, so lets not keep it"

The problem you state is easily handled by "cooperative collection
development" or what is set up in some states or consortia as "last copy
storage".  NO ONE discards their copy if it is the last in the system, or
the last copy is sent to a central repository.

>highly technical books) and thus the publisher very quickly stops
>publishing it

Again, answers exist.  "On demand publishing" (which one major publisher
has apparently done well on) and electronic publishing.  Why do you keep
thinking in terms of traditional books now that there are electronic
options?  Perhaps last copies should be scanned for "central storage", or
distributed storage.

Consider that multitude of alternatives out there.....let's think outside
of our traditional library boxes.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165