[WEB4LIB] FrontPage elements

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Mar 29 11:54:02 EST 1999

At 07:25 AM 3/29/99 -0800, Tami-Jo Eckley wrote:
>Can anyone help?  I have inserted a marquee to our homepage in FrontPage,
>but it does not show up in Netscape.  Would appreciate input.  Thanks!

As others have already noted, the marquee is a MS special addition to
HTML.  Although I prefer MSIE for personal and public use for many reasons,
I sure don't recommend that people use all of the "flashy" goofy  things
like marquees, fancy transitions, and so forth.  Some of the web "old
timers" (back to 94 or so) will remember when they first introduced the
<blink> tag and for about six months everybody was filling pages with
blinking stuff.  Like most fads, that went away relatively quickly.  Of
course we've since then had other fads, including frames, animated gifs,
marquees, and others.

I think that a great many web managers (including librarians) get hung up
on being "cute" or "with it" or "cool" and ignore what is really functional
for the user they're theoretically designing for.

I'm not saying ALL blinking, ALL marquees, etc, are bad.  But I'd sure
think about nine times before using them, and then do so only if I'd
confirmed from some testing that they were really useful.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165