Last chance for input on web-based coll. tools

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Mar 29 08:04:21 EST 1999

[cc'ed to Web4Lib to cast the net a little farther.]

I was surprised to get so little input on my last request--maybe it wasn't
phrased clearly?  My next column is about web-based tools used for
collection development.  I'm specifically interested in feedback about
tools such as Ingram's I-Page or Baker & Taylor's Title Source II, but I'm
also interested in "freebies" such as Amazon.com and Bookfinder
(http://www.bookfinder.com), or even reader's advisory tools such as the
freebie http://www.bookbrowser.com or the fee-based Novelist, if you use
them for collection development.

How do you like these tools?  Are they changing the way you do selection
and/or acquisitions?  With respect to I-Page and Title Source II, are you
using them hand-in-hand with an IOLS acquisition system, and how is that
working out?  Are they an improvement over the older methods for selection?
 What special features appeal to you?  What don't you like, and what's
missing?  Do you still find yourself turning on 60 Minutes, highlighter in
hand, so you can get through another issue of LJ or Booklist?  ;-)

The original request went out last week--so I'm really up against (and
over) a deadline now--I absolutely, positively need final input (including
your name, organization, city and state) by 5 p.m. EST March 30.
Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY...
Soon: Brunswick Community Library!        ICQ 33028281
Garfield on the Web: http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield/